Thursday, March 31, 2011

Update: Baby Sams

My dear friend Jeremy whom I mentioned in my latter post also has a blog. He posted about his family's recent loss and I had to share with all of you. He wrote just exactly as I had expected, to God be the glory. Please take a moment to read and understand the love that my friends (as I shared) have for our God. Below is a post from Jeremy Sams (this is not my writing)...

He Being Dead, Yet Speaketh

What a beautiful sound to hear your baby's heartbeat on a monitor. But dreams become nightmares when all you hear is silence. For 40 weeks, we dreamed about our upcoming birth. We dreamed of what this child would look like and who's features he/she would have. We prayed even before the child was conceived that God would give us a little preacher boy. On March 29, 2011, God answered our prayers.

However, he's not your typical preacher boy. You see, the day before he was delivered, we found out through ultrasound that our baby had already gone home to meet his Lord. So, how does he preach? His name is Zion Jeremiah Sams. The Hebrew root of the word Zion means waymark or sign. It was often used of an object or place to help people find their way. "Jeremiah" means of whom Jehovah has appointed. Of the Old Testament prophet, God said, "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, [and] I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." My little preacher boy has already preached God's sovereignty and God's grace to people all over the world, literally. God's sovereignty is preached in the fact that his death was a sovereign act of our Creator. Job 1:21 says, "...the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."

The Doctor and hospital staff had no explanation as to his death. He was a beautiful healthy baby boy. "There was nothing anyone could have done or done differently", the Dr. told us. This was unexplainable to man, but not to God. Little Zion is preaching God's grace in the fact that the grace of God is presently encompassing my family. Crystal and I spent much time alone holding our little preacher while watching the sunset, praising God, and rejoicing in His goodness. We are hurting bitterly. We weep...but not as those who have no hope. Our heart is broken, yet something strengthens us. My dear friend, Pastor Jeremy Varner gave me this verse that explains it so well, found in Psalm 73:26, "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever."

But, how does this happen? How can those grieving the loss of a child still have joy amidst the tears? How can a mother laboring to deliver a lifeless child raise her hands in praise as we listen to the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir sing Psalm 8? One small, beautiful, powerful word explains it: GRACE...God's undeserved, unearned favor and goodness. I will post more later as this will be therapeutic for me. To God be the glory.

2 comments:

ancient one said...

So touching... Thanks for sharing this.

MamaDey said...

I heard a preacher say once that sometimes we just have to say thank you. He was on the table having a heart attack dying and all of a sudden he prayed God i dont know why you are giving me a heart attack or how this is supposed to help me in my life but you will lead me through it and i thank you for everything you have given me even my heart attack... Maybe they are meant to help someone who isnt as strong in the faith as they are.