Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Capture my heart <3

Sunday I went to Wal-Mart. BIG mistake. No, not just because every time a woman goes in there she's sure to find something else she needs that she forgot, or in the midst of the islands of goods displayed lies, unfailing, such a bargain that can't be left for someone else to buy. On this warm afternoon, betwixt church services, my grab-and-run turned into a battle to leave.


Before I ever made it to the store, before my car was shifted to the white "P" for park, even before I had thought about finding a row to rest my car safely in, there, at the very back of the parking lot, inside of a raggedy old truck bed, was a sign posted: For Sale Boxer Puppys.


Now, had I not been carrying my little sister along I would've gone about my business and made it in and out of Wal-Mart with my necessities in no time. But as I rounded the corner she blurted out as she read

"For Sale Boxer Puppies."


I quickly made an illegal U-turn to examine these precious furry bundles. I should have convinced myself otherwise but when I walked up to the truck I was too far gone. Maybe it was the fact that their owner didn't even spell the poor creature's species correctly, or just the fact that they were so incredibly adorable. Either way from the top of her precious light brown face, down to her perfectly designed long white toes she won my heart. I rubbed and petted and cooed to her for a long while until I finally convinced myself that taking her home would be unfair to her nature of running freely and a puppy's need of my utmost attention. I simply don't have what she needs.


If there was some way I could've communicated this to her, to help with her understanding, as I walked away I would've done so. Nothing would do. She whined and pouted and broke my heart. I've thought about her since I left her there, in that old run down truck, hoping dearly that the looks of the man with her certificates do not in fact cast judgment on where she lives and what she eats, or even more, show how she is loved. My heart pains at the thought.


God please, though she's but an animal, she feels, she breathes, she hurts. Take care of her. Give her to someone caring. And please don't send anymore puppy trucks my way for a while. I don't think my heart can take it!


4 comments:

Little Penpen said...

awwwwwwwww.... what a sweet post. You'll get your puppy one day. In fact, I have two that you can borrow anytime you want. :o)

ancient one said...

Babies are more fun than puppies..LOL

Sandy said...

I love puppies....I so enjoyed our lab's little puppies. They were like little piglets. The boxers are precious.

The Babysitters Love said...

Boxer's are my favorite!